Discover the different policy areas we are actively working on.
- Working Groups
Our Working Groups are focused decision-making hubs that allow Bioenergy Europe members to discuss policy updates, new technologies and market trends.Back to Event Overview13 April 2021
Sustainable forest bioenergy - Important building block to reach European Green Deal objectives?
Livestream on 13 April 2021 at 13.15-15.00 CET
A climate-neutral EU by 2050 is at the heart of the European Green Deal (EGD). An important milestone will be a revised and more ambitious 2030 EU climate target, which in turn will require the European Commission to present revisions of all relevant climate and energy legislations, including the Renewable Energy Directive (RED).
Forest-based bioenergy - consisting primarily of wastes and residues from forestry and forest industry, such as tops and branches, sawdust, and bark - are the main sources of EU bioenergy.
Important aspects to address are for instance:
- How do we approach and assess different types of forest bioenergy sources?
- What is the role for forest-based bioenergy in reaching multiple European Green Deal objectives?
- To what extent will the existing criteria assure sustainable forest-based bioenergy in the future?
- How can we assure predictability and transparency for investors?
The event is hosted by Pär Holmgren, Member of European Parliament (Greens), member of the ENVI Committee and substitute in the TRAN and AGRI Committees.
- Opening Address from today’s host
MEP Pär Holmgren
- The JRC report- main conclusions and potential policy implications
Giovanni De Santi, Director Sustainable Resources, Joint Research Center, European Commission
- The upcoming RED revision – the Commission’s perspective
Catharina Sikow-Magny, Director Green Transition and Energy System Integration, Directorate-General for Energy, European Commission
- Advanced biofuels – we walk the talk
Josefine Nilsson, Business Development Manager, Biorefinery, SCA.
- Forest-based bioenergy – threat or opportunity?
NGO representative (TBC)
- Discussion with the speakers
- Closing remarks
Our Certification Schemes
The first international certification scheme for wood chips and hog fuel. A 12-class scheme addressing every profile of producer and end-user, from industrial to domestic use.Visit the website
The world-leading, transparent and independent certification scheme for wood pellets. From production to delivery, ENplus® guarantees quality and combat fraud along the entire supply chain.Visit the website
enSURE Compliance with RED II Sustainability Requirements for the Production of Electricity, Heating and Cooling from Biomass.Visit the website
Bioenergy Newsletter subscription confirmation
Thank you for subscribing to our newsletter. You have been added to our distribution list.
- Working Groups