Each solution promoted by DecarbEurope is technology-based, cost-effective, market-mature, scalable and provides concrete solutions for a smart and user-centric energy system with ambitious targets. DecarbEurope wants to encourage policy and market instruments to remove barriers that are currently hindering those solutions from full-scale activation. And that message has not passed unnoticed, witness the foreword by Commissioner Miguel Arias Cañete:
“To create growth and jobs, the EU industry must be at the forefront of the clean energy transition. Accordingly, the Commission welcomes industry-led initiatives that might strengthen industrial links in the overall value chain and integrate non-economic actors such as social partners and consumer organisations. Initiatives like DecarbEurope can help to promote the EU global leadership in clean energy and low-carbon technological solutions.”
- Decarbonization: we pursue solutions that provide a sizeable contribution and that are scalable to provide rapid and deep carbon savings. For this, we need policy stability, a long-term perspective and strict planning to achieve energy & climate objectives by 2050.
- Cost-effectiveness: we want solutions that are cost-effective, that compete in the market on merit. Minimum life-cycle costing should guide policy design. All cost-effective measures need to be pursued.
- Circularity: in the transition from a fossil fuel-based to a more capital-intensive energy system, we want products and systems to be durable, easy to repair and highly recyclable.
- Sector coupling: we believe in integrated energy systems and the use of digital solutions. We need a system approach combining renewables and energy efficiency with energy flexibility.
- Consumer engagement: we believe in full access to energy markets, green power purchase agreements (PPAs), guarantees of origin, long-term agreements and peer-to-peer energy transactions.