The next EU mandate will have to address pressing issues such as climate change, energy security and a rising cost-of-living. Bioenergy Europe has the knowledge and expertise to assist European policy makers in designing the necessary framework
A Clear Fossil Fuels Exit Strategy
- End all fossil fuel subsidies and develop a clear defossilisation strategy.
- Calculate the full value-chain emissions for fossil fuels and create minimum
- Require Member States to set end dates for the use of fossil fuels in different
sectors with indicative trajectories and clear measures.
ENHANCING ENERGY SECURITY
Sustainable and Efficient Bioenergy Enhances Energy Security
- Launch an ambitious programme to replace old heat appliances.
- Establish a fund for the modernisation of heating appliances and promote
investments in efficient bioenergy use.
- Add heat and energy storage mapping to the National Energy & Climate Plans.
GOING CARBON NEGATIVE
Unlock the Potential of Bioenergy with Carbon Capture and Storage
(BECCS), utilisation (BECCU) and biochar (BCR)
- Enable a political and financial framework to accelerate the ramp-up of biogenic Carbon dioxide removal technologies (CDR).
- Set quantitative targets for technological carbon removals in 2030, 2040
- Promote synergies for bioenergy and BECCS in hard-to-abate sectors.