Bioenergy Europe’s role: Project Partner
The Biomass Policies project brought together biomass and bioenergy experts from European institutions and 11 national energy agencies to provide a better understanding of how biomass resources can be efficiently integrated into the energy & biomaterial systems while taking into account the availability of resources, new conversion technologies and stimulation and regulation measures.
- Defined sustainable indigenous bioenergy value chains (energy & fuel) to quantify resource efficiency, sustainability and competition with other sectors to guide Member States on which value chains have high potential impact on the market, and provided SWOT analyses for these value chains.
- Developed country profiles for the participating Member States of their policy landscapes for the selected bioenergy value chains (energy, economy, agriculture, environment), as a basis for an overall policy framework towards a sustainable bio-based economy.
- Benchmarked existing policy approaches for their current and projected market impact (in relation to NREAP targets), efficient use of resources, abatement of sustainability risks and dealt with competition with non-energy sectors relying on the same type of biomass.
- Created concepts for integrated biomass policy frameworks, supporting the mobilisation of indigenous resource efficient bioenergy value chains (towards heat, electricity, CHP and advanced biofuels) by creating synergies and a level playing field with other biomass applications to open opportunities for a sustainable bio-based economy (e.g. through cascading and biorefineries). The impacts of these policy frameworks towards NREAP targets with be quantified through modelling.
- Created an interactive policy platform and worked closely with national administrations (through the participating energy agencies) providing inputs on biomass value chains and national policies to validate project findings and work towards policy implementation. A structured interaction with industry and market stakeholders was also organised to build sectoral support for the integrated policy frameworks and proposals.
- Translation of policy frameworks into concrete proposals for national policy legislation in the participating countries.
Project website: not active
Project Leader Interview: HERE
Project Duration: 2013 – 2016